Why? Life happened! I started working 8 hours a day, taking public transports to get home, taking care of taxes and paying medical bills...everything became so overwhelming.
At the same time, I felt really guilty for making a blog pause. I didn't want to disappoint my followers!Even when I was at work, I was always searching for more knowledge on how to become a better blogger and create better content. I was not blogging, but I was always checking for fashion, beauty, web design trends and so on.
I also figured, during the past months, that I've gathered a lot of information about social media management and digital marketing and how blogging has become so much more than it used to.
So I realized...you can pause your blog for a while and still devolop your blogging skills!
On my paiting classes, I was taught to take two steps back from my paiting in order to avaluate how it was turning out. I believe it works the same way with blogging, specially when you're feeling like something is not turning out as you wanted to. Here is a list of things I've learned during the 8 months my blog was paused.
Stop blogging and see what you could do better and what you have been doing wrong. This is what I have learned after a long blog pause:
- Make it count. Just because you don't have the time and energy to write in your blog right now, doesn't mean you can't do anything else for it. Research, check for new trends on your niche, look for new designs, new fonts, try to keep up with what's happening online.
- Your pinterest account might become your best friend. On my breaks at work, I would go to pinterest and repin advices from other bloggers on how to get better at blogging. I would save all the information on my pinterest boards which have become my main source for inspiration and guidance.
- Learn SEO. Make your blog post rich by using keywords, headings, subheadings, links to your past articles and keep it between 500-800 words.
- Learn how to use social media to drive traffic to your blog and always "call to action".
- Take courses of your interest. Creative writting, drawing, photographing, video or image editing, digital marketing... knowledge is power when it comes to blogging, all those skills can become handy on the blogosphere.
- Pay for professional help. When I started blogging I tried to do it all on my own. I didn't know much about programming so I would spend days trying to figure out how to make my layout look good. I started using Myfonts.com to find amazing font designers and Etsy.com for blogger templates. My blog looks better than ever!
- Search for image banks. Using images from google search is actually stealing and you might get in trouble for that. I started with morguefiles.com and then found this amazing list and this one too.
So, can I make a blog pause?
Sure, just make sure it is worth it!